Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Capsule Hotels in Japan - location

I think capsule hotels are one of the best ways for a foreigner to travel around Japan. They do have a few constraints though:
1. They dont offer much in the way of English-language support, and I dont think they want high-manitenance gaijin. Its a very traditional crowd I think.
2. You have limited space for storage. Basically your sleeping area is open so you dont have storage space there. You get one elongate, school-type locker in the bath area. This is not terribly secure, but I have never had a problem. I have often stored a locked case on ground floor in the office storage area, and this has been fine, though not always secure. i.e. They have left the door open. They did not mind me taking things out daily for overnight stays.
3. They dont really suit more than 2 night stays.
4. I am not aware of any website which provides a list of capsule hotels in Japan, and since they are advertised in Japanese, they are not always easy to find. Your best chance is going to a youth-entertainment district in a major city and asking people. I dont know the Japanese name, but they will know enough English.

I have stayed at capsule hotels in the Tenjin district of Fukuoka (Green Cell?), Nagoya (near JR station), Tokyo (near Prince Hotel, Shinjuku) and Hiroshima. Could not find anything in Osaka, though I'm sure they are there. I literally couldn't find anything, so I dislike the place to this day. Ok, not literally. They tend to be around the Y3500-4500/night. The value is the hot bath before and after a night out. Dont forget you save on transport too (Y300+). Sometimes they have a discount for the 2nd night.
As indicated they dont stand out very well. They dont have signs saying 'capsule hotel'. Just a lot of Japanese garb. Ask people. If you have trouble storing your bags, maybe you should use a locker at the station overnight, and recover your things the next morning. But as indicated, I never had a problem storing or accessing a lockup case.
For more info see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsule_hotel and Osaka Capsule Hotels (paradoxically I found this list) and here for pictures of a capsule hotel.
-----------------------------------------------
Andrew Sheldon www.sheldonthinks.com

5 comments:

Rajasthan Holidays said...

Capsule Hotels in Japan.This hotels is good for all tourist because all facilities in this hotel.
A good number of tourism themes feature in india tour.
India Tour

Rajasthan Holidays said...

Japan is a Big Country.
I think capsule hotels are one of the best ways for a foreigner to travel around Japan.I like it your blog posting.I also these type of information so visit this Url:- India Tour Packages

Rajasthan Holidays said...

Hi,
Thanks for the information. I like the way you describes stuffs. Can you post Check out my blog. Its about travel, travel tips and ideals. Am sure you will like it, if you love to travel.
Go and visit:-
Rajasthan Tour Packages

Rajasthan Holidays said...

Hi,
Good Blog.In this Blog Contents are very good information about the Japan accommodation and Hotel. I impressed.
Today india is globally famous and exotic tourist places And tourists from all over the world come here to explore its attractions and known about it that why it is called as the God's Own Country.
Kerala Tour India

Unknown said...

This is great after capsule train now capsule hotels. Japan really is utilizing full use of word "capsule".

Regards
Stay at best Apartments for Rent Toronto