Thursday, November 15, 2007

Cheap accommodation in Japan

I used to consider myself a 'Japan expert' but I might be getting a little rough here. I did most of my travel there a few years ago, and these days most of my travel is short trips, but I still have alot to offer for the larger cities.
The type of accommodation to get in Japan will depend on how long you intend to stay. If you are staying more than 2 weeks think about getting a 'gaijin house' - these are short term rentals based on monthly payments. There are several big companies offering this type of accommodation. Actually the flexibility and general high standard of this accommodation makes it well-suited for longer term stays. But bear in mind, you are sharing with alot of people, some noisy, untidy in bathroom, shower and kitchen, so think about that before you commit long term. There are issues with group responsibilities. Think about the location you choose. Pay a little more to be on a good train line or close to a station. Also try to get neat some open spaces. I rented a place for 2 months at Sumiyoshi, which was close to the Arakawa River, which allowed me to go for long uninterrupted rides up the river in relatively open spaces. Kanagawa has areas like that too SW of Tokyo city.
For shorter stay accommodation there are lodges or 'backpacker' style places, but actually if you dont have too much gear, you might consider capsule hotels. If you are a guy and dont mind being naked in public, you will love the hot baths. I was surprised but I never heard any racial taunts in these places. Most Japanese are polite, but usually their are some idiots around. What makes these places special is the hot baths and the fact they are located in the centre of the larger cities, and close to entertainment centres, and they are open 24 hours. I tend to have a bath before I go out, then after I have returned. Very refreshing.

Tokyo
The accommodation I liked in Tokyo was:
1. U-City Hotel, Narita City: Adjacent to Narita JL Line Station is the best value in Narita. Kihoko can get me a discount through work. It cost me Yen7,370/night, including breakfast & tax. No service charge paid.
2. Narita Station Hotel: Much cheaper at Y5,400/night and much closer to the station. I stayed here the last time. Free shuttle service from the Airport too, which I abused.
3. New Kayo Economy Hotel: Cheapest in Tokyo at Y2,700/night. Has internet access, TV, though small rooms. Located on the same subway line as Roppongi, close to Minowa Station, and therefore Ueno. Need to book at least 2 days in advance. Tel: 81-3-3873 0343?? [might be wrong number]
4. Space Inn Capsule Hotel, Shinjuku: This place is well located near a ATM (for Mastercard), Shinjuku Station, and is write among the action for entertainment. I did not really enjoy the area. Rate was Y3,800/night. Near Prince Hotel.
5. Geijin House, near Ueno: There are 2 Geijin Houses advertised at
www.geijinhouse.com which Katsue found on the internet. This one is well located. I think it costs Y65,000 per month + deposit.

Nagoya
Nagoya is a smaller city, but it still has a few capsule hotels.
1. Space Inn: A capsule hotel near Nagoya Station, but also within walking distance of the entertainment area. McDonalds is right across the road. I have stayed at this place on 2 occasions now, the last time about 15mths ago. I thin it cost Y4200 per night.
2. Park Hotel: This is an economy business hotel, but was booked out the night I needed. I think the capsule hotel is better. This is probably Y6500 per night.


Osaka
1. Hokke Club Hotel: This is the only place I stayed at in Osaka. It was a bit expensive. Public laundry & baths. Cost Y5,250 if you book through Tourist Information at Osaka Station, otherwise higher price.
2. Capsule Hotel: I tried this place, but there was a 4:00pm opening and they did not speak English.
3. Yukikaze Youth Hostel: Just 10 minutes from Kansai International Airport. Just Y3,500/night. Address: Osaka-fu, Sennan-shi, Kitano 2-3-34, tel: 81-724-845 254, fax: 81-724-823 688. I did not stay. Closed at the time for renovation.


Kyoto
Kyoto is a very attractive city because it is surrounded by forest, and it has alot of old traditional buildings, temples, etc.
1. Maruko Inn: This place was very good value. A good room for Y4,200, and reasonably close to the entertainment district. Tel: 81-75-361 0505, fax: 81-75-361 7340.

Hiroshima
1. Capsule Hotel, located in the Ebisu Area. From Hiroshima Station, get the tram to Ebisu-cho. Walk south about 3-4 blocks and there is a Capsule Hotel. This is in the vicinity of several bars. Eg. Macs Bar, Twister Café being the better ones I visited. They offer a discount if you stay a 2nd night.

Fukuoka
1. ETS Inn: This place was very good value, and was a new hotel. Located near Fukuoka Station, but need to go through Tourist Information for discount. Tel: 81-92-642 4563. It is located near the railway, behind the bus shelters.
2. Green Land Capsule Hotel: This place is well-located in the Tenjin district, so easy access to entertainment district
.

I have more places to add here, but I'll need to source them from other notes. Most of the others are country locations.

No comments: