Thursday, November 15, 2007

Cheap accommodation in South Korea

It would be fair to say that I consider Korea among the most interesting countries I have been too...NOT!!! probably trailing Singapore because its a less comfortable place to stay, and very cold in winter. I imagine it to be like Japan was 30 years earlier. So having spent alot of time in Japan I cant appreciate its own identity. They are pretty aggressive people too though the better educated classy people are nice enough, and among the few to speak English. But maybe this is all just a communication problem.
The good news is that accomodation and transport is cheap so you can flick through the country on your way elsewhere just to say you have been there. On the positive side there was some interesting cultural aspects. I watched a funny cartoon skit on TV about a tragic romance. It struck me as much better than Japanese humour. I also ate at some nice restaurants and a tea house in Seoul. Seoul was surprisingly cultured in ways, though it makes you wonder whether it was the Korean American influence, so I showed no respite when I was interviewed by local TV channel on the virtues of travelling to Korea. I was really giving shit. Aside from bibinba and fast internet, there were not many redeeming features. It was the most organised place I have been to. All the buildings are numbered, so if you are good with numbers, you will never get lost. I think after they have build 1ooo condominiums they start to build a new city.

Seoul
1. Anguk Hanok Guest House – see http://anguk-house.com.
2. Seoul Guest House – see
www.seoul110.com, or email: seoul110@yahoo.com.
3. Dongyang Motel – see
www.dymotel.com or email: zorou@hotmail.com. Address: 6-1203, Choryang-dong, Seoul.
4. Jongno-won Guest House: See www.jongnowon.com. Address: #29 Ikson-dong, Jongro-gu, Seoul, Korea. Tel: 82-2-763 4249. I stayed here. It cost me W28,000 per night, or Y35,000 for two.
5. Songwontel Guest House: A single was W25,000 or W30,000 for a double. Its near Jongno-won guest house, should it be full. Address: #103-62, Doneui-dong, Jongro-gu, Seoul, Korea. Tel: 82-2-742 4469. See
www.songwontel.com.

West Coast Korea

The highlight of the west coast was this beach resort. Korea actually has decent beaches compared to Japan. They had some wave action going and its white sand. Be careful not to trip over the barbed wire. When I was digging my sand castles I was hoping to find some ancient Korean treasury from the days when Japan wa plundering everything. But didnt find anything....not even a land mine.

Saraksan National Park was a disappointment. It was crowded and few highlights. Had a nice walk, a few nice autumn trees, but it wasnt worth the wait trying to get into the place. The queue of holiday makers was kilometres long. I think it must be the only half-decent place to go in Korea.

1. SP Sun Motel: See www.spsunmotel.fo.st. I stayed at this nice hotel in the Naksan Beach Resort town on he NW coast, close to the beach. Its not a great tourist stop, but it was cheap, at just W20,000. Nice beach except for the barbed wire to stop the North Koreans. Tel: 82-33-671 5665. They don’t speak English.

Pusan

1. Dong-gu, Pusan, Korea. This hotel is down an alley-way, past food stalls, on the southern (?) side of Pusan train station. Close to the International ferry terminal too. The cost was Y35,000 per night. I found it by going to tourist info at the train station.

No comments: